Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ah, Rats

As I stood staring at the opposite platform I saw a quick flash of black scamper behind a pillar. Before I explain what happened next, let me just say that certain things that would otherwise seem odd become commonplace after riding the subway as much as I do. Tourists, train delays, rats.

Ah rats.

Obviously, my first reaction was that it was a massive rat. Luckily, on the other platform. I thought of warning the opposite riders but there wasn’t anyone around it. I figured it would either quickly scatter away or find the nearby dumpster, bothering no one. I was just thankful it was on the other platform.

So as I watched where I saw the massive rat, a man emerged from the other side of the pillar. How did he not see it? Oh God! It must be following him! Well now I have to say something.

As I’m about to scream out my greatest “There’s a rat behind you!” I realize he is pulling something. He is pulling something massive and black. He’s pulling the rat on a leash! Who do I alert? See something, say something right?? That is so weird! That is so -

Wait. He’s pulling his luggage.

The black mass that I originally believed to be a living breathing rodent is nothing more than a rolling carrying case for clothing and other like items. Imagine my relief at not having screamed out anything. And my disappointment at not having seen a man who had a rat as a pet. This is the kind of thinking that riding the subway has reduced me to.

No comments:

Post a Comment