Thursday, September 2, 2010

Baby Got Back

I saw this woman on the subway the other day with a baby strapped to her back. Now I don't have kids and don't really consider myself the motherly type which is why I wonder if I would forget that I had a baby there and think it was a regular backpack.

Like, here I go, running to catch a subway, I just slip on and oops! Backpack stuck in the car doors. Is my backpack crying? That's weird...

Or: Man, I'm so tired. I'm just going to sit down with my backpack on and lean all the way back...

The front pack isn't much better, though I guess it'd be easier to remember it was a child and not just a pack because you'd be staring into their face a lot. Plus, I usually fall forward so that's no good. And what about quick turns near wall corners? That's a good bang on the head.

I guess it is quite the convenient way to carry your child though. I was always told that a backpack was the best way to proportion out the weight of whatever you were carrying. And whenever I see people carrying strollers up and down subways steps, I feel for them. I’m always scared to ask them if they need help because I’m always falling myself, without carrying another human being. It could be bad news. Is that protected under the Good Samaritan law?

Anyway, the backpack is probably better than the side carry I do with my nephew and niece. No wonder my back is a little wonky.

It's probably best that nieces and nephews are as far as I go where children are involved. I think I'd either be too lax or too paranoid a parent - I doubt I'd be one of those nice, calm in between ones. And I definitely would never wear them like a backpack. I mean, if they’re there, where would I put my AMNY?

No comments:

Post a Comment