Friday, September 10, 2010

I Love Love

I watched love blossom on a train once.

A young woman was playing Solitaire on her phone when a young man sitting beside her took out his headphones and to ask her a question about getting free apps.

What a line. Sly dog.

What followed was a vivid conversation with hand gestures and smiles, small laughs and nods of agreement. I couldn’t hear much because they weren’t that close and the noise of the train coupled with the obvious subway musician deafened me to most of it. But I did catch the first lull.

“No!” I cried in my head. I was cheering him on with my mind. It was my own private romantic comedy now. They looked like they should already be a couple, like they belonged together. He couldn’t give up that easy!

Luckily, he was a persistent one.

“How far are you going?”
“14th
“Me too!”

Good show! My heart even fluttered a little.

A few questions about what she’s doing in NY and her responses. Then, another lull. But 14th is so close! Don’t give up! Wait – Yes! Another question!

Wait…is he reaching for the headphones?? Don’t put them in!

Oh thank God, around your neck. Yes.

She’s smiling! Yes!

14th Street! Still smiling! They exit together.

Oh this is good. It looks like he’s made some clever remark about the platform. She laughs.

Ah love.

I imagine their lives to be filled with fancy dinners, Broadway shows, movie nights at home.

God, I hope he doesn’t turn out to be a psycho.

No comments:

Post a Comment